High up in the Sierra Nevada, in the California Gold Country town of Auburn, lies this gem of a vineyard of Viognier, planted and managed by the father and son team of John and Joe Damiano. When picked just a bit less ripe than many CA Viogniers, the fruit expresses lively citrus and gentle white flower aromatics, while barrel fermentation in mostly older French oak barrels leads to a wine of perfect structure and creamy-crispy balance.
Beautiful nose of white flowers (jasmine, gardenia and honeysuckle) mingled with pretty green tea, grapefruit and orange zest aromas, only a light kiss of creamy vanilla oak toast. Super crisp acidity without being puckery tart, just pinpoint balanced with trace of sweetness and creaminess from oak. Juicy, mouth-watering Honey-crisp apple and citrus, green peach fruit. Great structure to pair with lemon-butter shrimp or Thai food or even to drink solo.
- August 14&16, 2021
Average TA/pH at Harvest:
- Total Acid /3.45 pH at harvest
- Destemmed to press and cold settled.
- 100% barrel fermented, stirred weekly sur lie. No Malo-lactic fermentation, so it is crisply finished.
- 90% Viognier 2 clones: 67% Calera and 33% Entav 642,7% Marsanne, 3% Roussanne
- 90% Damiano Vineyard, Placer County, 10% Nevarez Vineyard, Paso Robles. All sustainably farmed
- May 17, 2022