The Cox Vineyard of Zinfandel and Carignane was planted in the hills NW of Ukiah by Jack Cox in 1956. This special reserve barrel selection is a tribute to his vision and the love he felt for this land of beautiful redwood forests in the rolling coastal ranges where he loved to hunt for deer and wild boar.
Deeper and darker blackberry fruit, almost jammy. More roasty caramel-dark chocolate oak and vanilla-mocha latte, a bit perfumey like red roses and ripe raspberries. Round sweet oaky vanilla cream in mouth, delicious blackberry and spice, great depth of flavor and fruit. Very supple, soft finish. Like blackberry crumble à la mode!
- September 28-30 (Carig), Oct 4-8 (Zin) Oct 10 (Pet), 2016
Average TA/pH at Harvest:
- 0.57 gm/100ml pH 3.55
- Uninoculated (WILD) yeast fermentation, which took 5 days to start (cold soak!) for total of 21 days on skins. Déléstaged (pronounced 'del-ess-TAHJd) twice times before 12 Brix
- 16 months in all American oak barrels, 75% one-year old, 25% new
- 78% Old Vine Zinfandel, 14% old vine Carignane, 8% Petite Sirah ***Organically and Sustainably farmed and organically grown
- 100% Cox Vineyard, Mendocino County
- February 1, 2019