Pairs Well With
White Rhone Blend
- 2 stalks lemongrass cut into 2-inch chunks and split down middle
- 2 oz garlic chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 64 oz unsalted chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine Carol Shelton's Coquille blanc
- 6 oz heavy cream
- 2 oz shrimp base (optional, or you can use boullion or clam juice)
- 1-2 T. cornstarch as needed, mixed with a few tablespoons of cold water
- 6 oz rock shrimp rinsed and picked over for shell pieces
- Start to sauté the cut-up lemongrass with the chopped garlic and chopped onion.
- When it is golden brown, add the wine and reduce by half.
- Next, incorporate the chicken stock and let it simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and strain thru a chinois or strainer lined with cheesecloth to get clear liquid only.
- Place liquid back on the stove and bring to a light boil.
- Add the cream and shrimp base, mix well, and then add cornstarch (mixed in cold water) as needed to gain consistency desired.
- Cook on medium low for 10 minutes longer, stirring often.
- Flash-sauté the rock shrimp at the last minute prior to serving—put 6-7 of them in each bowl, then pour hot soup over them.
- If needed, you can add a splash of wine prior to serving.